Synthetic Organic Chemist
at Hypha Discovery Limited
Who we are
Hypha Discovery is a CRO supporting pharmaceutical and agrochemical companies worldwide through the production of metabolites and new derivatives of drugs and agrochemicals in discovery and development. Hypha is an expert in the scalable synthesis and purification of drug metabolites and oxidised derivatives of lead compounds, and possesses a wealth of experience in the production, purification and structure elucidation of natural products.
About the role
- Sector: Biotechnology, Contract Research Organisation, Pharmaceuticals
- Contract type: Permanent
- Salary: To be discussed
- Application Closing Date: 04th November 2021
Our ideal candidate will have
Hypha Discovery has a fantastic opportunity for a talented synthetic organic chemist to join our team. This is a new position created to work with our Head of Synthetic Chemistry on a variety of projects related to drug metabolites and development of new methods to extend Hypha’s service portfolio. The role we are proud of our high standards and reputation in the industry and are looking to appoint a synthetic organic chemist who shares our ethos for delivering top quality science for our clients in pharmaceutical and agrochemical companies worldwide. The successful applicant will undertake a variety of lab-based projects to synthesise and purify drug metabolites for our clients, as well as contribute to the introduction of new methods to build on Hypha’s existing capabilities. Specifically, you will:
• Design and execute organic syntheses of drug metabolites and for other projects that may arise
• Develop and execute new and versatile screening methods for accessing difficult-to-synthesise metabolites by organic synthesis to complement Hypha Discovery’s wide portfolio of biotransformation capabilities
• Trouble-shoot, adapt and develop synthetic methods as appropriate
• Purify and analyse drug metabolites produced both by chemical synthesis and biotransformation using a wide range of chromatographic techniques and equipment, taking advantage of Hypha Discovery’s extensive in-house experience of purification from complex mixtures
• Interpret analytical and spectroscopic data and document your work to a standard suitable for client reports and archives
• Support development of new methodologies for lead compound diversification including chemical late-stage oxidation and participate in proprietary projects as these arise.
• Be part of the team ensuring the smooth working of the laboratory and equipment This is a full-time position is based at Hypha’s laboratory facilities at Milton Park in Oxfordshire.
Requirements for candidates
• Ph.D in organic synthesis, preferably with experience of a wide range of synthetic reactions
• Documented excellence in designing and executing complex organic syntheses
• +2 years working experience post PhD, either in an industrial or academic setting
• Working knowledge of a range of purification techniques for isolating small molecule target compounds, although training will be given in this area.
In addition to your chemistry skills, we are looking for someone to join us who is enthusiastic about working in the lab and enjoys a challenge. You will be able to plan ahead, deal with technical issues that may arise and enjoy working on multiple projects in parallel.
Due to the nature of the work for our clients, you must have a high attention to detail and a strong sense of integrity. Competency in the use of MS Office programs such as Excel is also required, as are excellent organisation, reporting and communication skills.
How to apply To apply for this role, please send your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this position to email@example.com. Applicants must already have permission to live and work in the United Kingdom. No agencies please.